Does your child enjoy sports and outdoor activities? Are you considering purchasing health insurance for your active child? I would like to share with you information regarding answers to some of the most frequently asked questions by parents who wish to obtain health insurance for their kids. Here are some of the FAQs for active kids regarding health insurance.
Do I really need it?
If you have a child who is between the ages of 6 months and 19 and enjoys outdoor activities, sports, going to the gym or participating in sports in school, then yes, you need an active health insurance plan. This type of health insurance is specifically designed to cover for both the medical needs of your active child and any injuries they may sustain as a result of their active lifestyle.
What does it cover?
Just like your regular health insurance, the active health insurance plan covers a lot of things which include;
- Dental and Medical coverage with more benefits than other plans.
- Wage loss benefits for children who have part-time or holiday jobs.
- Some Active Health insurance plans offer compensation of up to $1,000 for wage losses for the period of illness.
- Travel medical coverage of up to $100,000 for your travelling kids including emergency return trips and family transportation.
- Costs of private tutoring so your child doesn’t miss out on school activities during illness.
- Nursing and babysitting expenses amongst others.
What the plan covers however, would depend on the service provider you choose.
How much does it cost?
It depends on your service provider and where you live but it could cost between $30 and $100 or more every year.
Is it different from regular health insurance?
Yes, Active or Accident Plan insurance for kids is different from regular health insurance and offers a lot more benefits for your active child than regular health insurance. It not only covers for the medical expenses incurred when your child sustains an injury or is involved in an accident; but also takes care of other things like loss of wages if you have to stay away from work to care for your kid, or a caregiver has to take over while you are at work. The insurance also covers travel costs, drugs, and tutors. This type of insurance can take a lot of stress off you if you have active children.
Where can I obtain one?
You can find out from your current insurance service provider or ask for references from parents of other active kids.
Having health insurance for my kid ensures that they get treatment easily whenever they are feeling unwell or have sustained injury.